Friday, April 13, 2012

french and american women

Here I am in my apartment in my winter coat wrapped in a wool blanket. The heats been out for a few days...surprise? There's still no internet or hot water either so I have been frequenting cafes and gym facilities the past week. It's been three weeks and counting since we've had these small luxuries. I guess everyone in France is still on vacation? Unsure.

I found a funny satire on French women today. Check out the excerpt:

"To maintain my figure, I eat only half portions of any food, always arranging it on my plate in the shape of a semicolon. For exercise, at least once a day I approach a total stranger and slap him. And late each afternoon I read a paragraph of any work of acclaimed American literary fiction, which makes me vomit."

and

"The French woman is known for being effortlessly chic. I have, in fact, offered tutorials on elegance to American women. I will hand an American an Hermès scarf and ask her to tie it somewhere on her body, anywhere but around her neck. A French woman might use the scarf to secure a ponytail, or she’ll knot it loosely around the strap of her Chanel handbag. Sadly, most of my American pupils either use the scarf as a makeshift sling or eat it. I have attempted to counsel many American women against overdressing. I told one woman, “I’m going to turn my back, and I want you to take off three things.” A moment later, when I faced her, the woman had removed her teeth, one of her eyes, and an Ace bandage."


Read the full article in The New Yorker 

No comments:

Post a Comment