Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Teaching


I am almost finished with my second full week of teaching. During the first week I had twelve classes of introductions. Introductions meant I said a few things about myself and the children followed up by asking lots of questions. Some of the questions I have been asked about myself and/ or the US include:

What is your favorite star?
What is your sign?
What is your defect?
Is it cold there?
Do you know Justin Beiber? Do you know Rhianna? Do you see them a lot?
Do you like hamburgers?
Do you like to eat a lot?
Do you like house music?
Where do you live? Where do you live here? Where.
Do you know Obama?
Do you have a boyfriend?

After talking about myself for a week and being scrutinized by twelve year olds I was ready to get to teaching. Alas, not before I went back and corrected all they had written down about me.
But this second week has been great so far. We typically do fun activities like songs, skits, and do word searches. This weeks activities were mostly related to Halloween as they don’t really celebrate it here.  The kids are typically very eager, crazy hyper, and enthusiastic.  It really takes me back to middle school French classes.

One of the English teachers at my school was so welcoming and invited me to dinner at her home with her family last Friday.  I got to try a traditional Limousin dish and even had homemade Tiramisu!  They are a very interesting family –they lived in Bahrain for 10 years and their son is studying to be a perfume maker (not really sure the correct term for this). They were so unbelievably nice and I had a great experience in my first French home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment